Friday, July 21, 2017

Be a Parent.

Recently I saw a post from a Dad about his daughter.  The post was as follows.

"Hello, all!

This is Susie Q's new hair color! Nice and normal! She wants to color it Orange! Yes, orange! Please "like" her hair color, now! May-be with lots and lots and lots of "likes", she will keep it this color, and not orange!"


I responded, perhaps a bit tongue in cheek, 

"I'm confused - aren't you the parent? Tell her no."  I did put a winking face on the post, but got this reply:




😁 Lori, it's 'Susie Q!' We have talked about it. She's a great student and is involved with so many things at 'some private school'...... So I pick my battles! 😁Doing pretty good as a parent, if the only thing in her life, I have problems with, is her hair color! 😀


Others commented on his post that he was a great parent and many others voted for the orange.


I was a little taken aback by the whole thing.  It is an interesting concept isn't it?  We hear this a lot, "Pick your battles".  Maybe I'm old, maybe I'm old fashioned.  My parents didn't pick their battles.  They were in charge.  Keep in mind at the time of the posting, the young lady was under 18 and living at home.

Why are we afraid to tell our children no?  Are we friends or parents?  Do we think that they won't like us?

Do you think that some of this kind of attitude is contributing to the lack of respect some of the younger generation has these days?  No, orange hair is not a huge thing.  But where does it start and where does it end?


Who is really in charge?  










wink emoticon.  

No comments:

Post a Comment