Thursday, August 28, 2014

What You See Is What You Get - A Homemade Facial Powder

It seems like I have always been a what you see is what you get kind of girl.  Although I do remember in college wearing far too much eye makeup but that is another story.

Now that I think back - I remember the ribbed turtlenecks in Junior High (yes it was Junior High when I was a kid, not middle school).  The girls wore so much makeup on their faces that their turtleneck tops were orange.  Actually so were their faces.  I always thought that was disgusting so I never did that in Junior High.  Maybe that is why none of the boys liked me.  Or maybe it was because I was 5' 11" by 7th grade.  No matter.  Back to more important things.



I keep reading on a daily basis about all the cancer causing chemicals that are in all the products we use on a daily basis.

Here is what www.lesstoxicguide.ca has to say about face powders.


"Face Powder
Mainstream powder products commonly contain talc or silica. Both talc and silica can be easily inhaled and cause respiratory problems when they are airborne. As well, face powders are frequently coloured with potentially toxic coal tar dyes, such as D&C Red 30 Lake and D&C Yellow Aluminum Lake. Other toxic ingredients in face powders include quaternium-15 and imidazolidinyl urea, two preservatives that can release carcinogenic formaldehyde, butylated hydroxy toluene (BHT), a preservative and fragrance masking ingredient which can cause allergic reactions, and lanolin, a skin irritant. Synthetic fragrances, which are added to many popular brands, can also cause contact dermatitis. Endocrine-disrupting parabens are common as preservatives in face powders, and, in a few products, triclosan, another hormone disrupting chemical, is added for its antibacterial properties."

We read all the time about the items and chemicals to avoid.  Here is a great info graphic.



I am not a scientist.  I am just someone looking for more natural alternatives to some of our daily use products.  What I found was it was very difficult to even find a list of ingredients on makeup provider's web sites!

So, what is a girl to do?  WEAR FOOD!   


Some of the recommended, "healthier" products  ranged from  $20 - $37.  

For pennies, seriously pennies, I make my own face powder now.  Here is another huge advantage, skin color/tone changes from summer to winter, change the color by adding more ingredients!  This was the only way that I could do this and be certain of the content!

It is nourishing, it is light and actually feels silky on my skin.


INGREDIENTS
  • 2 Tbsp Arrowroot Powder (you can get this at most grocery stores)
  • 1/4 tsp Cocoa Powder
  • 1/4 tsp Nutmeg
  • 1/4 tsp Cloves
  • 1/8 tsp Ginger
  • 10 Drops Of Your Favorite Nourishing Oil (I recommend Lavender or Frankincense - choose an oil based on your skin type, acne prone, oily, damaged, or a combo of the two)
  • 5 Drops Melaleuca (Tea Tree Oil)

Where to get good essential oils:  Order Here

Here are some suggestions on spices to use for certain colors.    Play around to get the best color for you.  This is MUCH BETTER than having to buy multiple shades of store bought skin powder when they don't match!  Just keep adding until you get the blend you like.

You can really use almost any spice you have on hand.  Personally as I am putting it on my face, I purchased new bulk spices from Lakewinds CoOp.  I would avoid cinnamon because it can be irritating to skin.   Here are some common oils with colors to choose.  

Hint:  You can use a coffee grinder to make your own powders from dried herbs!
  1. Clove - darker brown with some reds
  2. Cocoa Powder - medium to dark brown
  3. Ginger - yellow tones
  4. Nutmeg - medium to light brown
  5. Sage - green tones

Here are some other suggestions on oils to use.  Seriously, use what you have.  I would avoid any citrus oils as they cause photo sensitivity.

Oils Good for Oily Skin and Acne (Source: Quick Reference Guide for Using Essential Oils - by Connie and Alan Higley)
  • Melaleuca Tea Tree)
  • German Chamomile
  • Juniper
  • Lavender
  • Rosewood
  • Melrose

Oils Good For Skin Health, Wrinkles, Lines (Source: Quick Reference Guide for Using Essential Oils - by Connie and Alan Higley)

  • Frankincense
  • Patchouli
  • Lavender
  • Carrot
  • Fennel
  • Geranium
  • Helichrysum
  • Rosewood
  • Sandalwood
  • Where to get good essential oils?  

  • I only trust Young Living oils for my home made products.  You can check them out at Order Here

Also you can check out my Facebook page for more essential oils tips and tricks Facebook Page

What home made products do you make?

No comments:

Post a Comment