Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Choices - Career - Money - Family - PRIORITIES

All day, everyday we make choices.  I had a job that required quite a bit of travel when the kids were younger.  The demands were terrible, the bosses were worse.  It didn't make any difference what you had going on in your life when you were summoned you said, "how high?".



When my son was younger, here is what the conversations were like.

Day One
 - Hi Mommy how was your day?  (Excited voice)
Day Two
- Hi Mamma how was your day?  (A little deflated)
Day Three
- Hi Mamma when are you coming home?  (Weepy)

Everyday I see posts on people's Facebook pages checking in at airports, travelling here, missing their kid's events, saying things like, "Living the Dream"!  Seriously how can you think this is "Living the Dream"?  I was one of those people.  

Let me tell you a secret:  BUSINESS TRAVEL IS NOT GLAMOROUS.

I remember one year at an event my daughter was playing in a championship softball game and I wasn't there.  Another executive summons required me to have lunch with my husband on our anniversary on our way to the airport.  He wasn't coming with me.  My daughter had a significant female moment and I had to get on a plane for a meeting summons.

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH.  No paycheck is worth all that.  I won't judge you.  Ok, maybe I will.  Family is one of the most important things. Us old folks all know the Cat Steven's song, Cat's In The Cradle.  For you young people...

Cats in the Cradle
Listen Here
by Harry Chapin
My child arrived just the other day
He came to the world in the usual way
But there were planes to catch, and bills to pay
He learned to walk while I was away
And he was talking before I knew it and as he grew
He said, "I’m gonna be like you, Dad, 
You know I’m gonna be like you"

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
When you comin home, dad, I don’t know when, 
But we'll get together then, Son,
You know we'll have a good time then.

My son turned ten just the other day
He said "Thanks for the ball, Dad, come on lets play 
can you teach me to throw?" I said, "Not today, 
I got a lot to do" He said "That's okay" 
And then he walked away but his smile never dimmed 
And said "I’m gonna be like him, yeah
You know I’m going to be like him"

Well he came from college just the other day
So much like a man I just had to say,
"Son, I’m proud of you, can you sit for a while?"
He shook his head, and he said with a smile

"What I'd really like, Dad, is to borrow the car keys
See you later, can I have them please?"


And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
When you comin' home, Son, I don't know when, 
But we'll get together then, Dad,
You know we'll have a good time then.

I've long since retired, my son's moved away
I called him up just the other day........
I said "I'd like to see you if you don’t mind"
He said "I'd love to Dad, if I could find the time.
You see my new jobs a hassle, and the kids have the flu.
But It's sure nice talking to you, Dad, 
It's been sure nice talking to you........"
And as I hung up the phone it occurred to me
He'd grown up just like me,
My boy was just like me..............


And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
When you comin' home, Son, I dot know when, 
But we'll get together then, Dad
We're gonna have a good time then.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I have lived this song.  As a result I had the opportunity to leave big corporate America and help my husband grow his business.  I MADE THE LEAP OF FAITH.  He owned a trade show exhibit company, Total Displays.  
TOTAL DISPLAYS       

We made a choice that our family was more important than a paycheck.  
Has it been easy?  NO.    

We have struggled financially.  Our earnings were cut by more than 50%.  Our expenses were not automatically cut by that.  We had to learn to live together, love together and work together.  We have cut way back on "things" (that is a bonus).  It is sometimes scary.

Was it worth it?  YES

We have been able to be at 90+% of our children's events.  We drive them to school, and pick them up after school.  We learned many valuable lessons about what was important.   We have become closer!

I even started a home based business based on a passion I have for helping people.  It has already helped us financially in less than a year.  Soon that will start being a significant part of our income. 

Don't complain about your job, about travelling for work, about missing kids events, IT IS A CHOICE.  

~Blessings & Abundance
#family #choices #bewhole

No comments:

Post a Comment